Monday, April 9, 2012

Today's photo

Day 20 - 4/09/2012
The sweetest present ever :-)

This is a lavalier from the Massachusetts Delta chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon at MIT. What is a lavalier, you ask? A lavalier is actually a necklace popularized by some french guy, apparently. But it's used to refer to a necklace with the letters of a fraternity or sorority and is given to a significant other to signify that the person is as important to the fraternity brother or sorority sister as their brothers/sisters. Now, as this obviously didn't come from Luke, and we all know that I don't have a guy on the side, who gave it to me, you ask?

The whole fraternity! That's right, all of them. It was amazing. I just looked through my blog history to see if I wrote about this, and I didn't! What?! Bad Nora.

Anywho, the night before I left MIT, I had a big good-bye dinner with the SigEps and some other close friends. Cara came down from WPI, Christina joined us, and Luke was there. We got to the house while the guys were still in chapter, and it was formal chapter so we were all dressed up. Then Sam texted Adam, who was downstairs with us since he's not a bro anymore but an alum, to bring me and Matt and Andrew up to the chapter room. I was so confused. Well, I don't know what I'm allowed to say about what happened in there, but they presented me with a little jewelry box that had this beautiful pendant in it. I was shocked.

SigEp has been such an amazing part of my life at MIT. When Adam broke up with me, they all supported me and were wonderful friends to me, even though he's their brother and I was just some girl. Well, ok, I knew several of them before I started hanging out there and we became really close, but whatever! :) Being a part of that community and then living there senior year was so much fun! I gained valuable friendships that will be with me forever, had people to take care of, which we all know I love, and gained a BUNCH of brothers! Having them present me with this, showing that they valued me as much as I did them...it meant so much to me.

Today, I took the pendant off the necklace I wear every day and put this pendant on instead. Something to help me through the day. Now, I'm a fiddler. Not with an actual violin or fiddle...but with anything and everything else. Battery covers on remote controls and phones, pen tops, earrings, rings, and especially necklaces. I always pull the pendant back and forth on the chain, without even thinking about it. The other pendant was directly on the chain, it didn't have a little circle connector thing, but the lavalier does. And it's not a solid circle. So somehow, in my fiddling, I widened the gap in the connector, and it fell off.

I didn't notice til after coffee break at 1pm and so I was freaked out and looked all around my desk, walked back up to the cafe and all around to the offices I'd been to that day and couldn't find it anywhere. I went down to the front desk to report it missing. And theeeen when I came back to my desk, there it was, sitting on my chair, where it had fallen. I WAS SO RELIEVED. If I had lost that...I would have been so sad.

So that's my photo for the day. :)




No comments: