Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chilling at Caribou in Denver


...so that I have internet access! Have a long to-do list today and much of it requires internet. Including posting the pictures I've taken the last couple days!

This is taking me longer than I thought. I made my camera save images as NEF files because they have less compression and are therefore better for editing and printing. However, CS3 won't open them and Shutterfly won't upload them. I'm having to go through all the images I want to upload using Picasa3 and save them each as JPEGs before I can upload them. They're coming though! I promise!

Ok, so I've now gone from the Caribou (cause it closed), to a Barnes and Noble (which didn't have anywhere to plug in my computer), to the food court at the mall. Oy. I also just made an image for SigEp because Matt Jordan is a nominee for the Alpha Phi King of Hearts competition and they want to publicize. And I'm awesome. :)

Photos are now uploading. Huzzah! There will be pictures of my new apartment, some pictures from home, random Colorado pictures, several pictures of Thalia being adorable and a couple of them will be posted here for me 365 Project. But if you want to see the rest on my photo site, ask for the password! :)

A more detailed update on the past week:

Monday I moved out of the hotel, which was QUITE an adventure. Thalia had been getting more and more freaked out as I packed things and cleaned the day before and, since I'm nooot super intelligent, I didn't put the harness and leash on her Sunday night. So when it came time for me to put her in her carrier, she was under the  queen bed, in the middle against the wall. Again, Nora is not the most intelligent person all the time, so my first impulse was to scare her out of there and try to grab her. Yeah. She got scared all right. Wouldn't stay still long enough for me to grab her though and raced back under the bed. I brought all the rest of my stuff down to the car and dropped off my extra room keys, then went back for attempt...4? This time, I sidled under the bed a bid and pet her to try and calm her down, slowly getting closer so that my hand could grab the scruff of her neck and pull her out semi-paralyzed. If you are not a cat owner or have never experienced the bizarre reaction that cats have to being grabbed by the scruff of the neck...find it on YouTube. It really is amazing. But I got her out! So huzzah!

The bed didn't come until Tuesday, so I slept on the floor that night. Super fun. Not.

More purchasing of things (yay for Goodwill) on Tuesday. No furniture. Just pots and pans and things like that. Also a couple of trash cans. Very important. And a couple things for Thalia to apologize to her for all the scariness of the previous days and for keeping her out of my room.

Work started on Wednesday and since I had no computer, I sat with my boss on Wednesday and Thursday looking at the code, learning about the product and doing some first day/new hire type things. For those who don't know, I'm on the Oracle Social Network (OSN) Web Client team as a software developer. For the next few weeks what that means is that I'll be fixing bugs. So when someone uses the system and something doesn't work the way it's supposed to, I'll be one of the people tagged to figure out why and fix it. It'll be a really good way to get introduced to the code base, the way different parts of the system interact and give me plenty of opportunities to ask questions of the other team members. It's gonna be awesome.

As I mentioned briefly in another post, on Thursday I found a bug without even touching a computer. Jeremy, my boss, was showing me the OSN site and I asked what a "follow up" was. He clicked on the link to show me...and nothing happened! He was able to fix it but then later someone else found a bug and he and I fixed that one together. I have definitely enjoyed my first few days, although there really was a TON of information given to me and I don't know that I've retained 100%. We'll see!

Thursday night was also the pizza party that I mentioned. I was invited by the associate pastor, Zach, and his wife, whose name I am not retaining, on Sunday to join the two young adult small groups at their monthly fun event. I basically got off work, ran a couple errands, ran home to get the address to their house, and then took off again. There was a TON of Papa John's pizza and a lot of fun people. I met SO many people. And I definitely don't remember everyone's name. It was at Jeremy and Audrey's house, but I only know that cause their names where on the paper with their address. Jen, Jessica, Christy, Mandy, Ben, Ben, George, Eric, Amy, Lauren, Jeff, Christine, Megan, Scott, and there were definitely others. So glad to be meeting people and making friends!

Friday I was at work until 7:30pm because my computer came in! I spent all day setting it up. Installed Linux, updated Linux, ran script to download most programs, downloaded other programs, fixed some settings that were all screwy...it was a long day. Got home, worked out, watched a movie, went to sleep. Such is my life. It's great!

Speaking of working out, I've started the Couch to 5k program. One of my 101 in 1001 goals is to run a 5k, but in order to do that, I've got to work up to it! This program takes you from non-runner (definitely me) to 5k runner in 8-10 weeks, depending on which schedule you follow. I downloaded an app to my phone that I turn on when I start and it tells me when to walk and when to run and I can listen to music in the background too. Day 1 was yesterday and I think the one I'm doing is 3 days a week. I should check. I also joined the fitness center at work and I'll be signing up for a beginner core work class. Needs to get my abs out from hiding.

First batch of photos is uploaded! I'll update once the Colorado ones are ready. :)


tl;dr New photos up on the photo site. Moved around a lot today to get internet. Thalia doesn't like moving. Work is good. Pizza party was fun. I have a computer at work now. I've started the Couch to 5k program.

No comments: